This article originally appeared on Boston Band Crush ).
I am very pleased that Melissa Ferrick has taken the time to answer our questions –
SXSW Interview Questions:
1. Where/When are you playing?
FRIDAY 3/20 4:35PM Berklee Party at Friends Bar
SATURDAY 3/21 2:50PM-3:35PM MPress Party at Soho Lounge
SATURDAY 3/21 10PM Official SXSW Showcase at Hilton Garden Inn 18th Floor
2. How did you get your SXSW gig?
I submitted an application and was accepted.
3. Is this your first time at SXSW?
No, my first SXSW was actaually in 1992 before my first record came out. I’ve been to SXSW as an official artist 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, and now 2009.
4. If you’ve gone before, how did it go?
Its always an amazing experience at SXSW. The show’s are only one
part of it. The whole scene that week is inspiring and totally
overwhelming. I try to pace myself and make a schedule to see all the bands I have wanted to see and all my friends who are playing there too. It’s a great time and always something I get excited about.
5. How important do you think it is to have an official showcase?
It depends on the headspace you go there with. I have found that when I go without any expectations, I have a better time. When I treat my showcase like any other gig I play better and actually enjoy it.
6. What do you hope to achieve by playing at SXSW?
Connecting with other artists I respect and admire and to meet new
7. How do you plan to use the conference (beyond your show) to promote yourself?
Mostly just by being visible and present at other shows. Also to use the conference itself to meet new people in the industry that I may not have had the opportunity to meet yet.
8. Are you attending other shows, what shows/bands are you looking forward to?
I am interested in attending the “Kind of Blue at 50” panel with
David Fricke from Rolling Stone.. and I definately want to see M Ward play too.
9. Do you expect that Boston will have a strong showing this year?
I hope so. I know that I will be a part of the Berklee College of
Music show, so I know the college will a have a nice showing but I
honestly have no idea how many other artists from the boston area are going.