This article originally appeared on Boston Band Crush ). The very sweet, Static of the Gods:
1. Where/When are you playing (showcase, venue, official/unofficial, etc)?
Ben & Jen will be playing an acoustic showcase at the BANDS, BURGERS, & BEER SHOWCASE hosted by Green Light Go! Entertainment and Hard Pressed Publicity.[03/19/09
Green Light Go and Hard Pressed Publicity Party @ Fran’s Hamburgers 1822 S. Congress Ave
Austin, TX 78704, Acoustic performances 3-6 PM]
2. How did you get your SXSW gig?
Through Green Light Go! – we have worked with Janelle [Rogers] for awhile now and have become great friends and fans of each others’ DIY spirit and work.
3. Is this your first time at SXSW?
4. How important do you think it is to have an”official”showcase?
Not sure how important the “officialness” is….we just want to play the music we love and meet lots of lovely like-minded people…accomplishing that would be pretty fucking rad.
5. What do you hope to achieve by playing at SXSW?
See answer #4.
6. How do you plan to use the conference to promote yourself?
Truthfully, we are not the best at promoting ourselves…our “elevator
speech” is pretty dismal. Not to say we don’t have strong opinions,
because we do – the three of us share aesthetic: melody, meaning, and
more melody. We are not that cool, and that actually makes us pretty
happy because we just want to make something that is real. If we meet
more people that like real, authentic music, and it’s certain we will,
those are the kindred spirits we are seeking! And we will give them
business cards. And that’s it. We are NOT in favor of the hard sell.
7. Are you attending other shows, what shows/bands are you looking forward to?
Yes! Jen wants to see Ladyhawke and Late of the Pier…both share
spaces as her cardio at the gym and my “design-time” music!!
8. Do you expect that Boston will have a strong showing this year?
Ummm, not sure…we know the wonderful The Motion Sick will be there,
however, we have to admit that we are bad about keeping up with the
Boston music scene. Personal SOTG faves are The Living Sea and Zambri
(which is kinda NYC kinda Boston). Guess we should find out who else
is going to SXSW!!!!