Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling (Sophia's main songwriting project) covered the INXS song "Don't Change" for The April Fifth Project.
When Jeffrey Vachon lost his father to depression in 2003, he was left with a catalog of his dad's songs. Now a singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist himself, Vachon recently went looking for his favorite of his father's tunes, "Feelings of Fall," a lonely folk gem that Neil Young could have penned in 1972.
Kurt Cobain died on this day 27 years ago, which means the iconic Nirvana frontman has now been gone as long as he was alive. Alice In Chains' Layne Staley also died on this day, April 5, back in 2002, making today one that jumps off the calendar when discussing and confronting mental illness, drug abuse awareness, and suicide prevention.
If you or someone you know is struggling with depression or drugs, there are resources available, some of which can be found here:
- Hope For The Day - Hope for the Day (HFTD) is a non-profit movement empowering the conversation on proactive suicide prevention and mental health education.
- SAMHSA - SAMHSA’s National Helpline is a free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year treatment referral and information service (in English and Spanish) for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance use disorders.
- Backline - iBackline is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that connects music industry professionals and their families with mental health and wellness resources— streamlining access to a network of trusted organizations and care providers that understand this line of work.
- Open Path Collective - Open Path is a no-cost directory that connects people in need to therapists offering affordable, online, or in-person psychotherapy.
- BetterHelp.com - Making professional counseling accessible, affordable, convenient - so anyone who struggles with life’s challenges can get help, anytime, anywhere.
- MUSICARES - MusiCares provides a safety net of critical health and welfare services to the music community in three key areas:
- Mental Health & Addiction Recovery Services: Support, referrals, and emergency financial assistance for counseling, psychiatric care, inpatient treatment, coaching, intensive outpatient care, sober living and more.
- Health Services: Financial assistance during medical crises and preventive services such as dental and medical screenings, hearing clinics, vocal health workshops, and assistance obtaining low-cost health insurance.
- Human Services: Support for basic living expenses like rent, utilities, car payments and insurance premiums in times of hardship, plus programs addressing affordable housing, career development, legal issues and senior services.